Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Wow

It's hard to believe that I've been here for a little over a month now. I feel very comfortable here now-- I know how to get around and have established some familiar landmarks around the city that I can orient myself with.

I'm also quite proud that I've finally gotten accustomed to their coinage. It's a bit strange: there are pennies (1 pence), 2 pence pieces, 5 pence, 10 pence, 20 pence, 50 pence, one pound coins, and two pound coins. I never thought I'd miss 25 cent coins! But now I can tell them by sight, which makes counting out 1.10 at night in a taxi much easier...

One thing that I'll never take for granted is the sight of the hills around the city of Belfast.
This is what I see every morning when I walk to the college, if it's a clear day.

This is what I see on my way to the grocery store. The hill is even higher when there's no mist.

No comments: