Friday, January 04, 2008

Backdated posting...

Well here I am, writing this blog entry for later posting, taking a break from unpacking and sitting on my somewhat squisy mattress and listening to David Bowie on my thankfully un-fried computer. My bedroom is one of the smaller ones, but really I got first pick and I like it the best. It'll be easier to keep warm, after all. It is purple, with a big painting (doesn't match the purple) over the bed and lots of drawers. There were some hangers left behind in the closet-- perfect-- and I have a nice mirror. On the downside, most of the sheets were dirty and had to be washed, so they're currently drying. But for tonight, I have an airline blanket, my own pillowcases, and a comforter that seems to be relatively clean.

Travelling went smoothly, and upon arriving at the Jury's Hotel in Belfast, we called the St. Mary's people and they sent someone to pick us up. Then we were served some tea and cookies and got a tour of most of the college building, some introductory packets, and got to call our parents. Then we were dropped off at the closest shopping center and told how to walk back (it's very close to our apartment) along with another American girl from Iowa who lives one street up. Friday morning we have an orientation session, and have to find the store to load up our gas and electric cards (it's a strange thing... but good because we can keep track of our utilities). Our landlord explained everything, and was cleaning the apartment when we arrived. He seems very nice and helpful-- he's certainly used to exchange students staying and Briege (the international office secretary lady) also knows him.

I feel so totally jet-lagged that my body hasn't been telling me it's afternoon when it's really evening here. Hopefully I should adjust more easily to the time zone this way. Either way, I am sure that I will sleep well tonight.

Update: Am posting this from the Uni computer lab... the keyboard is a little funky. Slept well and warmly, fiddled with the heat some more, and had a nice hot shower (though little water pressure and chilly bathroom) etc. One of the Millersville students who studied here last year is visiting and we talked with him last night and got some advice (like how to turn the power on for the stove!) There's also an electric kettle, so I boiled up a pot of water for my tea this morning! Surprisingly I didn't have too much trouble getting up... I seem to want to eat light meals more often than normal but that's ok. I think my sleep schedule will work itself out just fine.

We got to meet some (most) of the other Erasmus students who are here already-- about 10 of us-- at a very nearby bar last night. We also chatted this morning over tea in the staff room while Paul and etc. were setting up the presentation.

Oh! I almost forgot-- it snowed last night! We got 2-3 inches, probably, and it's a bit heavy now but was light and fluffy last night. Belfast is so not used to snow... the roads were not cleared at all! --which is why the international office people were running a bit late. St. Mary's is literally a two minute walk from our apartment (which, I hear, is one of the nicer ones) and I had no trouble getting around. The closest shopping center is about a 5 minute walk or less.

We had an orientation session today, just a little talk really, and will be discussing courses a bit more today. On Monday we should have a tentative schedule worked out. Yay!

We're going to try to get in touch with the landlord (his name is Fiontin but it sounds like Fenton... he left his number but we don't have phones yet) about the circuits in our room, which seem to have been tripped. I couldn't find a circuit box last night so it's probably in some weird place.

I guess I'm more in a euphoric/excited stage of culture shock at the moment...? But it probably hasn't really sunk in yet that I'm in a totally different place. Once I get over jet lag, maybe. The people are fun though :)

I do get sporadic wireless in my apartment (courtesy of someone in the neighborhood...) but until our upstairs circuits are fixed I will probably be saving my laptop battery until Sat. or Mon. when I can take it here with me and charge it in the computer lab. I think I saw some free plugs somewhere...

Anyway, pictures will come later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the vivid picture in words! xxxooomom Happy for your adventure:)

Anonymous said...

Hey there dear, it is nice to hear that you made it to Belfast alright and are all settled in now. I'll send you an email with a more detailed description of what's going on here now that I'm fully settled in Cork. Enjoy yourself in Belfast my dear :)