Monday, January 14, 2008

Out & About

All of the ERASMUS (foreign students from the rest of Europe plus us) students went out often to get to know each other. That's Dominik behind me, a student from Germany who also studied here last semester.


I took a walk into the city, all the way up to Queen's University and back, with Katrijn, Lotte, and Jereon (all from Belgium). The building behind them is the Falls Road Fitness Center.

We turned off Falls Road to get to a slightly different side of the city and encountered this famous mural. The UFF was a Protestant paramilitary group. The red fist is their symbol, an adaptation of the red hand of Ulster. What's confusing is that both (or all) 'sides' in Northern Ireland use the flag of Ulster.

I love this view of the city... to the left are the spires of St. Peter's Cathedral. To the right is a building that the IRA once used as a watchtower. At the horizon is one of the beautiful rolling hills that I see every time I'm at a point where I can see past the houses or down a street.


This is Jereon, drinking hot chocolate.

No comments: